After successfully creating a bootable disk to install Windows for Mac, you might face an error that states, “Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The Selected disk has an MBR partition table Boot.” This sometimes happens when the targeted disk is formatted with an MBR partition. Macs operate on an EFI system and Windows can only be installed on a GPT disk partition, hence the error when you try to install windows. This error frequently happens with iMacs and Macbooks ranging from 2008-2014. Luckily, the fix is extremely easy.
(If you have a Mac with an M1 chip, learn how to install Windows 11 here)
To fix this error, restart your Macbook and boot into Mac OS. When the UI loads up, launch the Disk Utility app. If you can’t find it, click the search box on the top right corner and look for it. After you launch Disk Utility, locate the partition that will host the Windows Operating System. Right-click on it and select erase (format). Choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Format and GUID Partition Map for the Scheme. This will not only change the partition scheme, but it will make sure that the partition is not in the MBR (Master Boot Record) format.
Now reboot your Mac and choose the bootable drive. Follow the procedure to install Windows until you get to the disk selection part. Now choose the partition that you formatted earlier and let the windows installer format it again. This needs to be done because Windows can only be installed on an NTFS partition. After completion, you should be able to install windows without the MBR partition error.
For non-Mac users (Solutions)
- Go through the BIOS settings and change the UEFI configuration.
- Convert MBR disk to GPT disk. Many disk utility tools can do this without erasing your files.
- Use the command line. Please note: This method will erase your files. Make sure to backup.
- Are you thinking about starting a blog?Subscribe to Bluehost and easily create a website like this one. Generate leads and make passive income for only $2.95 a monthLearn More
- Blink Outdoor CameraCheckout this battery powered outdoor security camera that is rated to last 2 years per charge, running only on two AA lithium batteriesbuy
- Macbook Air M1Undoubtedly one of the best laptops Apple has ever made. Featuring a beefy M1 processor, a robust software experience and impressive hardware, this is the go-to laptop for most people.buy