For those seeking a smartwatch that merges a classic design with functional features, the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic might catch your attention. Introduced in 2021 as the flagship model of the Galaxy Watch series, it operates on the combined Google/Samsung Wear OS platform. As we start the new year, it’s worth asking whether it’s still a worthy investment. Let’s explore the positives and negatives to help make an informed decision.
Design and Functionality: Features Overview
Before delving into the pros and cons, let’s briefly summarize the key features of the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic:
- The watch’s distinctive rotating bezel offers an intuitive way to navigate the interface. Alternatively, you can use the touchscreen or side buttons.
- Powered by the Wear OS platform developed jointly by Google and Samsung, the watch provides access to a range of apps and services from both companies.
- With a 1.4-inch AMOLED display, the watch boasts a customizable watch face and sharp visuals.
- The 361 mAh battery enables usage for approximately two days, varying according to usage patterns.
- A 5ATM + IP68 water resistance rating allows for submersion in water up to 50 meters, suitable for swimming activities.
- Featuring a built-in speaker and microphone, the watch enables calls, messages, and voice commands independent of a phone. It can also be paired with Bluetooth headphones for audio playback.
- The watch includes a variety of sensors to track health and fitness metrics, along with over 90 workout modes.
Pros: Highlighting the Advantages of the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic
- User-Friendly Rotating Bezel: The rotating bezel is a standout feature, facilitating navigation and adding a premium touch.
- Vivid Display: The Super AMOLED display with high resolutions provides vibrant visuals, even in always-on mode.
- Smooth Performance: Thanks to its processor, the watch runs tasks smoothly without noticeable lag.
- Insightful Health Measurements: The watch’s body composition measurement sensor offers valuable health insights.
- Enhanced Sleep Tracking: The watch can monitor sleep quality and snoring.
- Access to Third-Party Apps: Utilizing the Wear OS platform, the watch supports a wide range of third-party apps.
- Decent Battery on Larger Version: The 46mm version offers respectable battery life, outperforming the 42mm counterpart.
Cons: Considering the Drawbacks
- Limited 42mm Battery Life: The 42mm version suffers from poor battery life, necessitating daily charging.
- Higher Price Tag: The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic does come with a higher price tag compared to alternatives such as the standard Galaxy Watch 4. Nevertheless, given its age of a couple of years, you might still find it available at a reduced cost.
- Dust gathers on the rotating bezel: It’s simple for dust to become ensnared within the rotating bezel, posing a challenge for effective cleaning.
Galaxy Watch 6 Classic vs. Galaxy Watch 4 Classic
Comparing the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic to the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic reveals important distinctions that could influence your choice:
- Design and Display: Both models sport a classic design with a rotating bezel, but the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic offers a larger and sharper display with improved durability.
- Performance and Battery: The Galaxy Watch 6 Classic benefits from a more advanced processor and a longer-lasting battery, lasting up to two days compared to the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic’s one day.
- Software and Features: While both run on Wear OS, the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic will receive longer future updates, providing access to more apps and features.
- Enhanced Health Features: The Galaxy Watch 6 Classic introduces advanced health features not found in the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, including temperature sensing and improved heart rate monitoring.
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is still a solid option for those who appreciate a classic design and a feature-rich experience. However, its drawbacks, including limited battery life (on the 42mm version) and a higher price tag, are important to weigh. Should these limitations not deter you, or if you find a good deal, the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic remains a viable choice for your consideration.
Amazon affiliate disclosure: We may earn a commission for purchases made through links on this site.